A message from Gerardo William “Jerry” Hizon, MD, FAAFP, CAQSM
Program Director, Sports Medicine Fellowship Program
Welcome to the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program. Thank you for your interest in our program. We are an ACGME accredited community-based program in Southwest Riverside County in California. We invite you to take a closer look at our program and are confident that you will be impressed by all we have to offer.
The mission of our program is to develop Sports Medicine physicians who will provide comprehensive and collaborative care that is patient centered within a culturally and socio-economically diverse working environment. The program will serve to bring together several medical specialties that will work together to mold and transform Sports Medicine fellows into a balanced and holistic physician.
Fellows rotate through Temecula Valley Hospital, which is recognized nationally for quality of care and patient safety. The diversity of patients and breadth of pathology provides our fellows with an exceptional training experience. Our diverse faculty come from a multitude of backgrounds and experiences providing an enriched and nurturing environment to develop and grow as a physician.
Unique attributes of our program include:
- Unique training experience at each hospital
- Focus on daily use of MSK ultrasound and point-of-care ultrasound with access to a dedicated ultrasound simulation lab
- Dedicated procedure clinic and primary care sports medicine clinic
- Once a week POCUS grand rounds and a half day of ED scanning
- Team care of two junior colleges and the three major high schools within the Temecula Valley Unified School District
- Exposure to Olympic teams and events
- Ski trauma rotation at Mammoth Ski Resort
- Experienced and diverse faculty – Our Sports Medicine program is sponsored by Family Medicine, providing us with many more resources with regard to faculty, clinical rotations, and research opportunities
- Emphasis on fellow well-being – Integrated wellness curriculum and activities
- Temecula and the surrounding wine country is a beautiful place to live with great affordable housing, highly rated schools, great restaurants and easy access to hiking, camping, beaches and skiing
We are extremely proud of the quality of program we have built, curating the best training experiences delivered with the help of outstanding diverse clinical faculty who are passionate about teaching and carrying forward a culture of excellence. We hope you will join us in this endeavor to develop the highest caliber physicians for our community and beyond.
Thank you for your interest and we hope to connect with you soon!
Our curriculum features clinical rotations at four hospitals and Motion Medical Group, as well as didactics and research.
Apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application process.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and other benefits.
We are committed to creating a supportive learning environment and culture of wellness for fellows.