Obstetrics and Gynecology
*effective July 1, 2022
The UHS Southern California Medical Education Consortium offers a comprehensive benefits package for residents, including medical, dental, vision and other benefits. Coverage is also offered for family members at an additional cost to the resident.
- Comprehensive Medical and Dental Plans
- Vision Service Plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Life Insurance (basic and supplemental options)
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (basic & supplemental options)
- Voluntary Short Term & Long Term Disability Plans
- Voluntary Benefits Program
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Paid Leave and PTO Plan: Paid leaves (i.e. medical, FMLA) are subject to FMLA and or State of CA laws. The paid time off (PTO) plan provides the Resident with four (4) weeks paid time off or twenty (20) working days at 100% paid stipend. Unused PTO may not be paid out as additional income.
- The total time off taken by the Resident must not exceed thirty (30) calendar days in an academic year.
- Unpaid Leave: Unpaid leaves (i.e. medical, FMLA) are subject to FMLA and/or State of CA laws.
- Lab coats and scrubs
- On-duty meal allowance
- Moonlighting is allowed during the PGY-2, PGY-3 and PGY-4 years. PGY-1 residents are not permitted to moonlight.
- Requires resident is in good standing with the program and has been granted an unrestricted license
- Program professional liability does not extend to practice outside of program
- Requires approval of Program Director and DIO
- Resident wellness and life/work balance support
- Riverside County Medical Association (RCMA) and California Medical Association (CMA) Memberships
- All residents are expected to begin residency with certification is BLS, ACLS, PALS, and NRP.
- Re-certifications will be offered annually and will be provided by the program.
- ALSO is highly recommended for residents. For those interested in obtaining certification, the time for the course and the cost of the course will be provided by the program.
- Full access to Western University of Health Sciences online library and resources
- Residents are provided with an annual educational stipend to support educational and professional expenses. Requests will be subject to prior approval by the Program Director and DIO.
- USMLE/COMLEX Step III registration
- Medical Licensure
- Other eligible educational and professional expenses include medical books, point of care subscription or tools, medical training software, professional medical journals, and/or online journal subscriptions.
- Conferences and travel-related expenses at specialty-related training events. Travel-related expenses must follow institutional policies and procedures.
- Medical equipment (e.g. stethoscope)
- Research-related expenses for IRB-approved research projects or presentations of such research projects at conferences, professional society meetings, etc.
- Non-allowable expenses include items for personal use outside of training such as computers, cell phones, etc., are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Housing: Personal housing must be obtained and fully paid for by the resident.
- Moonlighting: The Program Policy for the SoCal MEC, Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program allows moonlighting with the permission of the Program Director in accordance with California law, licensing requirements, and ACGME rules.
- PGY-1 residents are not permitted to moonlight.
- PGY-2, PGY-3 and PGY-4 residents interested in moonlighting must get approval from the Program Director. It is not anticipated that PGY-2 or PGY-3 residents would be approved for moonlighting.