Note for the 2022-2023 application process: Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be conducted virtually.
Our Cardiology Fellowship Program is three years, with three positions offered each academic year. To be eligible for the program, applicants must be either a United States citizen or permanent resident. We currently do not sponsor any visas.
All applicants are required to apply using the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application process. Applications submitted via mail, email or fax will not be processed.
We participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). Please register with NRMP if you wish to be matched with our program. We will not accept any applicants outside the NRMP Match.
Information Needed to Apply on ERAS
- ERAS Common Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcripts
- Medical school diploma
- Dean’s Letter of Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- A minimum of three Letters of Recommendation
- Letter from the Program Director for prior training program
- Personal statement
- ECFMG Proof of Certification (International Medical Graduates Only)
- United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) and/or Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Exam (COMLEX) transcripts, as applicable
- If any required documents are in a language other than English, an English translation of the document must be provided
NRMP Program Information
Cardiology Fellowship Program
|Program Name:||Cardiology Fellowship UHS SoCal MEC|
Interviews and Appointments
Our program participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP). Applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, academic year 2022-2023 dates and deadlines for ERAS and the NRMP have and may change. Our program will review applications from the time of their availability in ERAS through the rank list deadline. Interviews will occur October through November. You will be notified if you have been granted an interview.
Eligible applicants will be considered on the basis of program-related criteria such as their ability, aptitude, academic credentials and communication skills, and personal characteristics such as motivation, integrity and overall alignment with the mission of the program.
Our program does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, religion, color, national origin, disability, or any other applicable legally protected status.
International Medical School Graduates
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States must have the following:
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certificate before starting orientation
What to Expect on Interview Day
- Please Note: due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all granted interviews will be conducted virtually
- Welcome by the Program Director
- 2-4 interviews lasting 20-30 minutes each
Applicants who accept an offer to begin fellowship training with our program must provide the following documentation prior to the start of the program:
- Official medical school transcript with degree issued and date of issuance
- Copy of medical school diploma
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of current driver’s license
- Copy of permanent resident card, if applicable
- Medical Board of California Postgraduate Training Evaluation Status Letter
- Copies of current Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) (American Heart Association® Approved)
- If required documentation is in different names, then proof of name change (i.e. marriage certificate or court document) must be provided
- If any required documents are in a language other than English, then an English translation of the documents must be provided
Applicants with previous U.S. training, practice experience, or Medical Staff Membership/Privileges must provide the following documentation:
- Copy of California Medical License, if licensed
- Letter of good standing from licensing board of any state where licensed
- Letter from Medical Staff Office of any facility where staff privileges have been held
In addition, applicants must successfully complete all UHS pre-employment requirements prior to the appointment date. Failure to provide any required documents or to successfully complete all UHS pre-employment requirements by the date of appointment will result in automatic withdrawal from the program.